Studying in Australia is a great investment in your future. However, to fund that investment students often need multiple sources of funding. One of those sources is scholarships. Thankfully, as an international student there are several sources of scholarships available. Scholarships are designed to attract the best and brightest from around the world to study in Australia.
Types of scholarships
There are a range of scholarships available to international students and, like other aspects of undertaking international study, it is important to do your research.
Broadly, there are two main sources of scholarships for international students; Australian Government and specific universities. The Australian Government provides four main scholarships. These are:
- Australia Award Scholarships
- Destination Australian Scholarships
- Australian Government Research Training Program
- Australian APEC Women in Research Fellowship
In addition to the Australian Government, universities also provide their own specific scholarships. These are often merit based scholarships. You should research your university to determine which scholarships are appropriate for your study or use the following table to better understand your scholarship options.
Tips for applying for scholarships
It is very competitive to obtain a scholarship and for international students the process can be difficult. Here are some tips, to improve your chances of obtaining a scholarship:
- Apply for as many scholarships as you can: typically, there are several scholarships for which you would be eligible. Do your research as you may qualify for several types based on your university, area of study and home country.
- Put yourself in the best position to obtain a scholarship: the criteria of all scholarships vary. Academic achievement is vitally important but so are extracurricular activities. Be sure to have relevant extracurricular activities for your scholarship applications. These may include sporting achievements, leadership positions or community service. Every additional item will help with your application.
- Get help with your applications: these scholarships are extremely competitive and one minor mistake may cost you. Ask your friends and family to proofread your applications and offer any advice.
- Keep on applying! Did we mention scholarships are competitive? Sometimes you may miss out on a scholarship for no fault of your own. If you’re dedicated and keep on applying you’ll likely get that scholarship to help with your studies.
Finally, it’s important to note that while scholarships are an excellent way to finance your studies, they can be difficult to obtain and may not cover the entire cost of studies. If you need additional help financing your studies, Spark can help. If you’d like to learn more about Spark please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org